Housing Advice

Whether you need help to deal with problems with your landlord or want to avoid losing your home, there is a range of free, confidential and independent advice on housing rights and responsibilities.

Self Help and National Housing Advice


Shelter, the national housing and homelessness charity provides information and advice on a range of housing problems.

Website: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice
Helpline: 0808 800 4444

London Borough of Tower Hamlets Housing Options Service

The Council’s Homeless and Housing Advice Service offers advice and assistance on housing options that might be available if you are being threatened with homelessness.

Homeless and Housing Options
Tower Hamlets Town Hall
160 Whitechapel Road
E1 1BJ

Tel: 020 7364 7474
Email: homeless@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Open: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9.30am-4pm
Wednesday, 1-4pm
Access: Wheelchair access
Hearing loop in reception

If you require emergency homelessness advice, assistance and support outside of these hours or during the weekends please call 020 7364 4079

Website: www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl/housing/housing.aspx


Local Housing Advice

Specialist Housing Advisors

The following agencies currently employ specialist housing advisors and solicitors.

Island Advice Centre

You can book an appointment to see a housing advisor, ring the telephone advice line or come to a drop-in advice session on Monday between 10am-12 noon.

Address: Island House, Roserton Street, E14 3PG
Tel: 020 7987 9379
Email: admin@island-advice.org.uk
Website: http://www.island-advice.org.uk

Tower Hamlets Law Centre

Address: St Anne Street, Unit 1, off 789 Commercial Road, E14 7HG
Tel: 020 7538 4909
Email: info@thlc.co.uk
Website: www.thlc.co.uk

Legal Advice Centre

Address: University House, 104 Roman Road, E2 ORN
Website: www.legaladvicecentre.org.uk

Contact Us – University House – Legal Advice Centre & A2J Lab

Tower Hamlets Citizens Advice Bureau

Address: 32 Greatorex Street, E1 5NP
Tel: 020 7247 1050
Advice Line: 0344 826 9699 (Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm)
Email: towerhamlets@eastendcab.org.uk

Toynbee Hall

Address: Toynbee Hall, 28 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LS

Tel: 020 7392 2953
Email: advice@toynbeehall.org.uk 
Website: www.toynbeehall.org.uk